Thursday, February 16, 2012

Relay for Life...

I just officially registered for this year's Relay for Life! I can't even go to the Relay website without getting choked up for multiple reasons. One reason being the happiness it brings me when I see how awesome my small town is when it comes to raising BIG money for the American Cancer Society! Why do I care so much about cancer research? Those are the other reasons my eyes flood with tears when I talk about Relay.

I remember being a 5 year old, seeing my grandpa lose his hair and become sick. I remember him being a nice guy. I remember him being on so many medications that altered his mood. I remember the day he told me that he didn't care that it was my birthday. He did care, though...and I knew it. I just was so confused. I'll never forget the day that my mother, father, youngest uncle and I were sitting in my house when the phone rang. An ear piercing ring, a ring that sounded eerily different than any other--even to a five year old. My mom answered the kitchen phone, my uncle rushed to the bathroom and slammed the door. I, myself, sat in silence (that's not common for me). I knew what that phone call meant. Grandpa was gone. He'd lost his battle with lung cancer, and his wife (the sweetest person I know), daughter and 3 sons had lost their father, and I lost my grandpa. I know I was sad at the time, but the reality of it never hit me until I reached my adult years and had babies of my own. My grandpa was not "old"--he was YOUNG. He never met my brother--his only grandson, or my five beautiful cousins. He never met his great grandsons. Somehow I know that my youngest son (Charlie, named after Grandpa) would love him to pieces--and vice versa. My son's a pistol...ornery, with a fiesty little temper. The same personality that Grandpa was well known for. But cancer prevented them from ever meeting.

When I was 16, I met my high school sweetheart, my Prince Charming. He didn't have a stupid white horse. He raised hogs and had a big black truck...and it was awesomely loud. :) He was my first love, with out a doubt. We spent 2 years dating and ended things as pretty close friends. I will never, ever forget the day he called with the news---he had cancer. CANCER!? He was barely of legal drinking age, much less battling cancer! How could this be happening to his parents? They'd lost a nephew AND son to accidents, and now their youngest son was battling cancer! Brian left this earth in January 2004. He put up a darn good fight though! I don't like to think cancer won this one--I think Brian won. He's with his cousin and brother now--having one heck of a time in Heaven. Rest assured, they have a Bud Light fountain and always an ample supply of snow for snowmobiling.

Four years ago, I started my own photography business. I began offering photographs to families who had children suffering terminal illnesses, primarily cancer. It breaks my heart to have seen many of these kids suffer. How can small children deserve something so terrible? Little Gabe and Tiana left lasting impressions with every person they met before they left this world.

Over this past summer, I met a cute little man. He was fighting his own battle with cancer--but you'd never have known it! He was an ornery little pumpkin! He's currently in remission and giving his grandmother a run for her money every day. (Of corse, she wouldn't have it any other way) I believe that this little dude is still here on this Earth because of all of the money put towards cancer research! 

I have the sweetest aunt that has been battling cancer off and on for the past few years. She recently beat it for a second time. Today, my mom shared that my aunt has grown her OWN hair back and is looking great as ever! She's still here, enjoying her granddaughter each day because of money put towards cancer research.

A VERY close family member of mine was diagnosed with colon cancer last year. Because of cancer research, she got rid of if with a simple surgical procedure! Thank goodness she is still here today!

Advances are being made EVERY day in the search for a cure! And Relay for Life is such a HUGE way to contribute to cancer research! It's my hope that one day no family will have to lose a grandfather, father, husband, son,mother, grandmother,wife, daughter, sister, brother, cousin or friend to this terrible disease!

1 comment:

  1. You are a Saint to put forth so much effort toward this cause. In your young life you've been so close to so many who have had to fight cancer. Guess who has tears running down her cheeks? I love you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete